Nine short days after our too short trip fishing in Canada, the lodge we were staying at faced a terrible tragedy. One of the pilots, Andre, was on a routine pick up at one of the lodges outpost camps on Buss Lake. He was flying the plane he has flown for, I believe, the past ten years, a de Havilland Beaver, or the Beaver for short. The exact plane in which he had flown Scott and I from the lodge to the airways on the second to last day of our trip. Something went wrong with the flight and details haven't been pieced fully together, our best guess it was close to take off after having picked up the fisherman. Sadly, the plane crashed and was found close to shore. All five people on board, including Andre, had died.
Andre was the second person we met associated with the lodge and he did not disappoint. He was nice and welcoming, and talked to us for a bit before he left on a run. He had just arrived at the airways to drop off the coordinator of the fires that were burning in the area, and was off to run some more cargo. We watched him fly that plane in and out of the lodge our entire trip. I do believe that Beaver was something all of the guests looked forward to seeing each day.
Andre was the second person we met associated with the lodge and he did not disappoint. He was nice and welcoming, and talked to us for a bit before he left on a run. He had just arrived at the airways to drop off the coordinator of the fires that were burning in the area, and was off to run some more cargo. We watched him fly that plane in and out of the lodge our entire trip. I do believe that Beaver was something all of the guests looked forward to seeing each day.
Our view from the Beaver on our flight out of the lodge. It was a beautiful and easy flight. Scott in the front, myself in the back.
I hope his family, including his "family" at the lodge can find peace in the fact that he died doing what he loved. And I hope the families of the other victims can do the same in knowing that they had just finished a once in a lifetime experience.
It was hard news to take. Not only did it remind me how lucky Scott and I are, but it made me hurt for all involved. It gave us a moment to reflect on how short life can be and to not take one minute for granted. We are so very lucky to have eachother, our families and friends. But we are also fortunate enough to be able to share these amazing adventures together. We will do this again and again. Never take our lives for granted and live them to the best of our abilities.
I find myself hoping that this news does not deter others from visiting their lodge. It truly was an amazing experience, one that can't fully be put into words. And it was everyone of their staff and family that made it what it was. The pilots, the guides, the kitchen/cabin staff. And the owners. Accidents happen and I can only hope that they can overcome this and stay just as successful! We have no doubt that this will not stop us from visiting again.

No comments:
Post a Comment